Wednesday, September 13, 2006

slice and quick

a short post about sharp knives.

there are blatant dangers, but are not threats said to lurk because, well, they can? sidewalk cracks end up in hairline fractures. the odds were 1:40000 and, later, you're blinking, quite unstatistically, into a sun that was supposed to be enshrouded this 29th of February.

the options: hunker down and swaddle up—or exchange the padding for lighter gear that breathes better. the perception of safety may be the first error that exposes flaws in which hazards germinate. for their strength/mass ratio, wits cannot be rivaled.

to wield, masterfully, the very thing that could destroy: to preempt the fall, to gash a sewable wound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"... drivers passed an average of 3.3 inches (8.5 cm) closer to cyclists with a helmet than without ..."

This could be the difference between an accident and a near miss, but surely a skilled cyclist wouldn't mind the tighter distance. And the skulls of skilled cyclists are as easy to crack as the skulls of incompetent cyclists. I guess I'd rely on my own skills to avoid an accident, but I wouldn't mind a helmet to minimize the damage done in an accident I couldn't avoid.